- Field emission gun (X-FEG)
- Cs probe aberration correction
- Fully aligned for operation at 60kV, 80kV, 120kV and 300kV
- high-speed GIF Quantum for EELS mapping
- Gatan K2 direct electron detector at the back of the spectrometer for rapid core-loss EELS mapping and energy-filtered low-dose TEM
- 100meV energy resolution with monochromation
- EMPAD for electromagnetic field, strain and polarization mapping
- Cryo-box for low temperature experiments
- Lorentz lens for field free imaging
- High-brightness cold field emission gun upgrade scheduled for Fall 2020
FEI/Thermo Fisher Titan Themis CryoS/TEM 60-300kV
Physical Sciences Building Rm B-91
The FEI CryoS/TEM is the result of NSF MRI award (1429155) and is the first monochromated, high-resolution cryo-S/TEM of its kind. This instrument is capable of imaging inorganic and organic materials at the nanoscale. It is equipped with a Field Emission Gun (X-FEG), a monochromator, probe corrector (STEM) and the availability of single and double tilt holders for room temperature and cryo work. The microscope is set up for data collection at 60, 80, 120, and 300 kV providing resolutions of up to 0.08 nm.
This revolutionary instrument allows for imaging of materials samples, such as batteries and how they degrade over time, and the study proteins and cellular components in native-like state at cryogenic temperatures. The cryo-S/TEM bridges the fields of materials and biological sciences, providing a unique platform to conduct interdisciplinary (biology, engineering, chemistry, and physics) research at atomic resolution. Samples ranging from rechargeable batteries, crystals, to isolated proteins and cells can be imaged seamlessly.
Available modes for data acquisition include: TEM, cryoTEM, cryo tomography, Bright Field/Dark Field TEM/STEM, EELS, STEM, Lorentz TEM/STEM, and Low Dose imaging along with specialized holders necessary for preserving samples. The Cryo-S/TEM is equipped with a Gatan GIF Tridiem energy filter for EELS and high resolution single particle applications, a retractable cryo box for conducting data acquisition of materials and biological samples at liquid nitrogen temperatures, an FEI Ceta 16M camera a K2 Summit direct detector.